RE: Reading Embedded ScreenShots of code in Website Articles

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:32:59 -0400

With some of the later versions of OmniPage or Fine Reader, one can have a
sighted person draw a rectangle around screen shots and other blocks of text
drawn differently than the rest of the text and have them recognized
separately.  This presents three problems though:  first, the DPI problem
Jackie mentions causes a drop in accuracy, second, you need to keep a spare
sightie around and, third, it may not put the text in a logical place in
your document.

As many of these are code samples, the web site for the book often has them
online for download and you will find that text you can get from a site will
be 100% accurate which makes using code samples easier.

After the multi-month effort on the first Drupal book that Jackie, Jim Homme
and I had to drag kicking and screaming into an acceptable state for BSO
download, I think that OCR software may still be a generation away from
handling documents with lots of insets, screen shots, epigrams and other
finery that makes visual presentations much more convenient - hopefully, BSO
will have contracts in place with publishers to get the clean XML for
publisher quality soon enough that we needn't break our ears over forcing
such difficult examples into our shoe box.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

PS:  I did receive a second book on Drupal 6 which will take some time to
get scanned as Susan, my lovely wife of 21 years, and I are headed off to
India for a wedding and won't get back to Boston (where I left my scanner)
until 11/8.

Chris Hofstader
CUNY, BSO, ATG, Odds and Ends
email: cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx