Re: .Net Impressions, Right Or Wrong

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:14:48 -0700

Hi Jim,  I'm not Laura, but what you say is actually commonly done
when writing C++/CLI.  In other words, you can mix .Net styled C++
(which has certain extensions to allow for references/pointers to .Net
objects) and unmanaged C++.  Incidentally, .Net is just a framework
(massive one at that) which permits the developer to not have to
reimplement many common algorithms, data structures, UI controls
(Windows-based of course), and many other tasks.  With this
simplification comes loss of control and potential for performance
degredation.

C++/CLI is actually the lowest level language among .Net languages
since you can explicitly box/unbox simple types and do things that C#
simply hides.  It definitely looks closer to the underlying IL code
which itself is somewhere between the higher level languages like
C/C++ and the lower level assembly family of languages.

- David