[program-l] Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:01:39 -0400

Oh good.  Then it isn't just me <grin>.  Your mention of PDF as an
accessibility barrier reminds me of the bad old days when most of us used
DOS and Acrobat Reader was just another of those many programs that fell in
the, "Don't even think about it, blind people," category because the first
thing it did was put the video card into the utterly unusable graphics
mode.  If people express special frustration with the whole PDF thing, I
think those who don't perhaps remember those days need to understand that
access to PDF files really has been a *long* time in coming.  Good thing
Adobe has finally started getting religion in the past five years or so.

Regards,
Jerry

                      "Jamal Mazrui"

                      <Jamal.Mazrui@xxxxx        To:
<program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      ov>                        cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [program-l] Re: VB:
Reading pdf with screenreader
                      program-l-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      09/22/2005 02:29 PM

                      Please respond to

                      program-l

Hi Edward,
Naturally, we can and should put up with some reductions in comfort and
efficiency for the rewards of employment.  I am talking about a degree
of problems with PDF and Adobe Reader, however, that have cumulatively
amounted to real accessibility obstacles for average blind computer
users over the years.

I do agree that version 7 of Adobe Reader has been a significant
improvement--perhaps the biggest yet over a prior version.
Unfortunately though, remaining frustrations are not rare.  Windows 2000
or above is required, so those with earlier Windows versions cannot
benefit from this software.  Even when we can, however, it is not smooth
sailing yet.

For example, a competent friend who runs a Windows XP laptop says that
crashes or instability with Adobe Reader are common enough that she is
reluctant to use it unless she cannot access PDF content by other means.
Also, in an earlier message today, I posted a link to a PDF I found via
Google about user interface guidelines,
http://www.gpa.etsmtl.ca/cours/gpa789/pdf/OfficialGUI.pdf

I tried all three methods of determining reading order (raw print
stream, left to right, top to bottom, and infer from document) without
success.  The default, infer from document, setting took about 4 minutes
on my Windows 2000 computer, after which time it told me that the
document was too large (about 450 pages), and that I had to load only
the currently visible pages rather than the whole document.  Doing so
involves a tedious reading process that does not support the continuous
read command of a screen reader.  One reads a page (which may not
include much text), and then has to press Control+PageDown to wait for
the next page to load.

With the PDF example above, however, even loading only the currently
visible pages did not work.  I have the latest Adobe Reader and JAWS,
yet JAWS would not read any text.

Using another PDF tool by comparison, the PDF converted to readable text
in about 15 seconds.  I could also have saved as text with Adobe Reader,
though that would have taken considerably longer.

By the way, I found that the process of adding temporary tags is
applicable with the raw printstream setting as well--though it takes
perhaps a fourth of the time as the "infer from document" setting.  This
can still mean minutes that the computer cannot be used for anything
else because of the hogging of the CPU by Adobe Reader.

I realize that some of this is anecdotal in nature, but it was striking
to me how quickly I encountered a PDF with significant accessibility
problems.  If you happen to recall or encounter a PDF with tables
supported by JAWS table commands, I am interested in an example.  For
more than simple tables, I find that understanding the relationships
between table headings and data becomes impractical otherwise.

Regards,
Jamal