[program-l] Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader

  • From: Edward Przybylek <przy5100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:46:33 -0400

Hi all,

I always use the infer reading order from raw print stream. With any of the documents I've read, it always does the best job.

Take care,
Ed Przybylek

At 02:00 PM 9/20/2005, you wrote:
That's a good tip.  Since Adobe seems to strongly recommend the "infer
reading order" setting, I had generally been giving up on a PDF with it
when that setting did not render coherent text..  Now I know it's worth
trying the alternative settings.

Jamal

-----Original Message----- From: program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:49 PM To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [program-l] Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader

It can sometimes be surprising what changing your reading order choice can do. I ran across a newsletter here at work once which Adobe Reader 7 initially showed me using its "Infer Reading Order from Document" setting. I got different pieces of text, all the nightmares of column mishandling, and so on. Then, just for fun, I switched to "Use Reading Order in Raw Print Stream", and it was as if someone had just unfolded the document in the right order. It was suddenly a pleasure to listen through. I'd say it's definitely worthwhile trying out different reading orders before giving up a document as hopeless.

Regards,
Jerry

                      David Lant

                      <david.lant@xxxxxxx        To:
"'program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      ov.uk>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [program-l]
Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader
                      program-l-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      09/20/2005 11:43 AM

                      Please respond to

                      program-l

... And some can be completely destroyed.  I came across one document,
which
had no particular fancy formatting visually, such as tables or anything.
But Acrobat Reader 7 ended up formatting the document with every word on
separate line.  A real pain to listen to.

David Lant

I.T. Consultant
Consultancy & Development
ICT Services
Tel: (01392) 382464

Devon County Council accepts no legal responsibility for the contents of
this message. The views expressed do not reflect those of Devon County
Council.

-----Original Message----- From: Travis Roth [mailto:travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 20 September 2005 15:37 To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [program-l] Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader

Hi Jamal, Sure, such PDF's can be found here and there, or if they have been created with accesibility in mind. Even untagged PDF's sometimes can be rendered correctly using Adobe Reader 7. Anyway straying off-topic I think.

-----Original Message----- From: Jamal Mazrui [mailto:Jamal.Mazrui@xxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:06 AM To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [program-l] Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader

Hi Edward, Have you found PDFs that support JAWS table navigation commands? My understanding is that, theoretically, this is possible with appropriate markup in a PDF that is tagged for accessibility, but I have yet to encounter a PDF where such table structure is actually implemented.

Jamal

-----Original Message----- From: program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edward Przybylek Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:53 PM To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [program-l] Re: VB: Reading pdf with screenreader

Hi Che,

I currently use both JFW V6 and WindowEyes V5.  Both do a great job
reading PDF's.  I've used them at work to read 1000 page
specifications full of tables and outlines.  My job relies on having
access to these specifications and so far as I know I still have a
job.  Give your screen reader a try before you spend money on
additional software.

Take care,
Ed Przybylek

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq