[program-l] Re: Reordering fields in SQL 2000

  • From: "David Lant" <david.lant1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:36:53 +0100

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no feature to reorder fields in an SQL
Server table.  I've had to do this many times myself, and have always ended
up creating a new field in the location I want, copying the data from the
old to the new, and then deleting the old.  Finally, renaming the new field
finishes the job.

I'm not even sure if there is a way to reorder fields using Enterprise
manager.  I asked my sighted colleague a few days ago, and she said there
didn't seem to be an obvious way to do it there either.

Off the top of my head, I'm not even sure how you would script adding a new
field, in such a way that you specify its position among existing fields.
Logically there must be a way, otherwise how would Enterprise Manager allow
you to insert a new column at a specific location?  But there you go.  It
may just be well hidden.

All the best,

David