[program-l] Re: Reordering fields in SQL 2000

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:58:36 +0100

Hi David,

I'm very likely batting from the wrong wicket here, but you
can certainly move table columns in Access.

However, I can see no keystroke method.  What I do it to
click on the column Header to highlight the column, then
holding the left mouse button down, drag the column to
wherever I want it to appear.

George.

Lant
> Sent: 23 September 2005 12:37
> To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [program-l] Re: Reordering fields in SQL 2000
>
> Hi,
>
> To the best of my knowledge, there is no feature to
reorder
> fields in an SQL Server table.  I've had to do this many
> times myself, and have always ended up creating a new
field
> in the location I want, copying the data from the old to
the
> new, and then deleting the old.  Finally, renaming the new

> field finishes the job.
>
> I'm not even sure if there is a way to reorder fields
using
> Enterprise manager.  I asked my sighted colleague a few
days
> ago, and she said there didn't seem to be an obvious way
> do it there either.
>
> Off the top of my head, I'm not even sure how you would
> script adding a new field, in such a way that you specify
its
> position among existing fields.
> Logically there must be a way, otherwise how would
Enterprise
> Manager allow you to insert a new column at a specific
> location?  But there you go.  It may just be well hidden.
>
> All the best,
>
> David

table. I
> know you can use Enterprise Manager to do this, but I find

> the visual tools hard to use and prefer to script all my
> database changes. Is it possible to reorder fields using a

> script or stored procedure?
>
> Thanks and regards.
> Charles Steyn

http://www.africon.com/MasterPages/Legalnotice/Legalnotice.h