[program-l] Re: HTML: Printing

  • From: "Barry Jennings" <bajenni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:29:16 -0700

Ian,

I had a problem a little like this once.  We had a VB program which got its
data from an MS Access database and printed a pretty fancy report with all
kinds of lines boxes and so on.  When the data was migrated to a web site
running on an AS/400 the client wanted the same report to be delivered by
the web site.  Here is what I did:

1.  Create a template in MS Word consisting of one page of the report.  It
had all the fancy boxes and so on.  In fact I had to get a sighted colleague
to create the template.  We put little numbered markers in the text to
indicate where the fields go.  The idea was to substitute data from the
database for the markers.

2.  Saved the template as an RTF file and moved it to the web server.

3.  Write a server side script to read the template, perform the
substitutions from the database and put out an expanded RTF.  It could have
one or more pages depending on how the client requested the report.

The result was that the client could fill out a form with the appropriate
selection criteria and get a report in MS Word.  I remember getting quite a
few browny points from the client for pulling this off.

Good luck.
Barry