[program-l] Re: HTML: Printing

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:25:38 +0100

Hi Ian,

Does this actually need to be a programmatic solution?

Why not simply read each .htm file into Word 2003?  You
could set up a Master File to do this.  Then apply a
Template to add any necessary Headers, Footers and fancy
bits.

Provided the HTML was Styled properly to begin with, you
should even be able to write a simple macro to add a table
of contents.

(But then, I guess since the office junior could do this,
you'd be out of a job - smile!)

All the best,

George.

Sharpe
> Sent: 02 September 2005 14:31
> To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [program-l] Re: HTML: Printing
>
> Hi Will,
>
> I agree that in theory it should be possible to identify
page
> boundaries.
> This would almost certainly need to be done using client
> script as it would depend on the size of the text in the
> browser window itself. I was kind of hoping someone may
have
> already done this or point me in the direction of a
> solution!! It will be very messy!! Not somewhere I'd
choose
> to go myself!!
>
> Cheers
> Ian

might
> it not be
> > possible to use scripting, be it server or client side,
> determine when
> > a new page starts.  This would enable you to insert the
> header on each new
> > page, as well as increment a counter that you could use
> dynamically
> > number the pages.  You likely don't want this displayed,

> and you could get
> > around that problem by including a link to a version
formatted for
> > printing, which has become something of a defacto
standard
> for web sites
> > that offer documents as web pages.
> >
> > Will

force
> a page break
> >> at the end of each report. Reports will typically be
less
> than a page but
> >> could run to many pages in some cases. This is almost
good
> enough and may
> >> well suffice. However, the client has asked, reasonably

> enough, whether
> >> it is possible to put the header information at the top
of
> each page
> >> rather than on the first page of each report and
possibly
> also include a
> >> page number.
> >>
> >> I suspect it is possible to tell IE to put page numbers
on
> each page when
> >> printing a web page but this is no good. It would have
> be relative to
> >> the current report.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of any way that I can put the header
at
> the top of each
> >> page of the report to which it belongs?
> >>
> >> Any thoughts gratefuly received as always.
> >> Cheers
> >> Ian
> >> ** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:-
[mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
> >> ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> ** and in the Subject line type
> >> ** unsubscribe
> >> ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on the
> >> ** immediately-following link:-
> >> ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> >> ** or send a message, to