[pedevel] Re: Fwd: Feuture request

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:05:59 +0200

On 2006-08-15 at 13:11:58 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > #1.  I turned the stderr window on qute nice, but its annoying that
> > > cant choose to have only one stderr window. If I forget to close
> > > the
> > > old one, it will create a new one. I understand why this is good,
> > > but I
> > > would like an option to turn that off. My colors a quite strange as
> > > use black background and white text, I cant barely see whats in the
> > > selected item in the stderr window. Maybe its an idea just to
> > > invert
> > > the colors? Or add more colors to the preflet.
>
> Never used it - I only get occasionally annoyed by it when I accidently
> hit Alt-Enter :-)
> So I don't have any insight on this one.

It's exactly the same here. I should probably just disable the short-cut :-)

> > > #2.  There is a very nifty plugin for Eddie, its called "Todo:"
> > > and
> > > ofcourse someothers aswell, are there any plans on porting the
> > > plugin
> > > api from Eddie to Pe?
>
> I don't know Eddie's plugin API, but that might be a lot of effort,
> depending on how it's done.
> A "TODO" add-on OTOH would be a very nice addition. Even though the
> magic function stub/header creator is number one on my wish list, it
> would be quite more work as well.
> But I postponed it after you'll have rewritten the C/C++ parser, anyway
> :-)

The header/stub generator is also one of my favorites, but I believe, it's
best implemented using a scripting language. Instead of a generic C++
implementation with a window with millions of settings just have small
scripts, the developers can edit to their liking. The only thing (*cough*)
missing is the interface for the scripting language. :-)

> > > #3. Folding would be very nice.
>
> Even though all those current main stream editors support folding, I
> never found it to be of any use; it just hides information, it doesn't
> improve the overview or simplifies navigation - the function pop ups
> already do all the good things for me.

Yep, same here. As it turned out the only thing I keep folded in eclipse is
the imports list. The other stuff (functions, classes, etc.) I like
unfolded. Having a quick navigation (like our brilliant find function
window ;-) works better for me. Also nice would be Ctrl-Clicking on an
identifier (class, function, or variable name) to jump to its definition.
At least for the found functions (shortcut for double click, Ctrl-C,
Ctrl-Shift-F, Ctrl-V, Return)

> > > #4 The BeOS way is always to use several windows, I sometimes feel
> > > that
> > > its quite hard to work with. You know the horizontal splitter,
> > > would it
> > > be very hard to add a vertical splitter aswell? That would come in
> > > handy for diff tool aswell.
>
> The splitter gives you more than one view of the same file - that would
> be a very different thing with a diff tool. Even though I wouldn't mind
> a more sophisticated diff tool (integrated with SVN, maybe? :-)), I
> don't think a vertical splitter would be useful for anything else but
> diff. It be very confusing for anything else, anyway, since the views
> had the same vertical position, only differ in horizontal...

I've come to like the way it works in eclipse -- a tab per file editor
(actually "view on something") and an additional menu when there are more
files than the fitting tabs -- but that's a completely different concept. I
wouldn't squeeze more into a Pe document window. I don't even use the
vertical splitter because it divides my reasonably sized window into two
too small halfs. What would be nice is:

* A "find function" window like document list window to quickly jump to
another open window without needing to use the mouse (maybe even minimizing
the current window).

* A way to have one file displayed in different windows. This would
probably require a stricter MVC separation than we have at the moment
(virtually none ;-).

* A browser-like previous/next navigation feature for viewing/edition
positions (spanning documents).

Oh, not really related but nice too:

* A short-cut to duplicate the current line (or if there's a selection,
block of all touched lines). Selecting + Copy + Paste is not the same,
since it replaces the clipboard contents.

CU, Ingo