[pedevel] Re: Fwd: Feuture request

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:11:58 +0200 CEST

Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > #1.  I turned the stderr window on qute nice, but its annoying that
> > cant choose to have only one stderr window. If I forget to close
> > the
> > old one, it will create a new one. I understand why this is good,
> > but I
> > would like an option to turn that off. My colors a quite strange as
> > use black background and white text, I cant barely see whats in the
> > selected item in the stderr window. Maybe its an idea just to
> > invert
> > the colors? Or add more colors to the preflet.

Never used it - I only get occasionally annoyed by it when I accidently
hit Alt-Enter :-)
So I don't have any insight on this one.

> > #2.  There is a very nifty plugin for Eddie, its called "Todo:"
> > and
> > ofcourse someothers aswell, are there any plans on porting the
> > plugin
> > api from Eddie to Pe?

I don't know Eddie's plugin API, but that might be a lot of effort,
depending on how it's done.
A "TODO" add-on OTOH would be a very nice addition. Even though the
magic function stub/header creator is number one on my wish list, it
would be quite more work as well.
But I postponed it after you'll have rewritten the C/C++ parser, anyway
:-)

> > #3. Folding would be very nice.

Even though all those current main stream editors support folding, I
never found it to be of any use; it just hides information, it doesn't
improve the overview or simplifies navigation - the function pop ups
already do all the good things for me.

> > #4 The BeOS way is always to use several windows, I sometimes feel
> > that
> > its quite hard to work with. You know the horizontal splitter,
> > would it
> > be very hard to add a vertical splitter aswell? That would come in
> > handy for diff tool aswell.

The splitter gives you more than one view of the same file - that would
be a very different thing with a diff tool. Even though I wouldn't mind
a more sophisticated diff tool (integrated with SVN, maybe? :-)), I
don't think a vertical splitter would be useful for anything else but
diff. It be very confusing for anything else, anyway, since the views
had the same vertical position, only differ in horizontal...

That would be my input :-)

Bye,
   Axel.