Re: [PCWorks] Search applet and Users applet blank

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:15:13 -0500

Well that definitely sounds like it's a JS problem,
specifically the jscript.dll file and/or the registry keys
related to it.  Also vbscript.dll.  Try and register that file
as well.  If registering both files doesn't work, they could
corrupted and may need to be replaced, from the CD or
downloaded from somewhere.

Look for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-
00aa00bbbb58}\In procServer32

The "(Default)" value data should be:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL

The value data for: ThreadingModel  Should be:  Both

Then do the same for this keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-
00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c262-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32

Those key's alpha-numerical string suffix may be different on
some PC's.  So I would go to
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID,
then search from that key down for maybe f414c261-6ac0 for
example.  On my PC, this is the key data for the first key
listed above:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Kaspersky Lab\\Kaspersky Internet
Security 7.0\\scrchpg.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"
"OriginalDll"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\jscript.dll"

As you can see, KIS took over the original path to jscript.dll
as indicated by the "OriginalDll"=" line.  All 3 keys on my PC
end in "b58", not "b558", and all are similar to that one
above.  So this should get you in the right area where you can
check to see if those keys are set like this, or similar to
that if there's AV software involved that modifies the keys.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com