Re: [PCWorks] Compaq 5020 Hard Drive

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:14:51 -0600

Tom you may have to get someone to help with those screws or to
find out why the cable won't come loose.  I looked over those
URL's John gave and according to them there doesn't seem to be
any reason why the cable shouldn't just pull out.  This is if
it's IDE.  If it's SATA, it says there could be a "latch"
underneath:

"CAUTION:  Serial ATA data cables may include a latch
(underneath the plug for select models only). Press the latch
and pull the plug to remove the data cable from the drive.
Failure to unlatch the connector may damage the hard drive."

As for removing the drive, it's one of those complicated cages
with several screws here and there, so someone may have to
point those out to you.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com
http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:33:21 -0500
From: Tom

Thanks Clint,

Just to follow up, I did connect a 160 GB hard drive to the
computer and to my surprise the BIOS recognized all of it.
Now, I can't figure out how to physically remove the old
drive.  The computer only has one hard drive bay.  I can't
get to the screws on the right side of the computer.

True, the computer had Windows 98 on it but I'm going to
install Windows 98 SE on it.  It will be good enough for my
brother-in-law who can't afford to buy a computer and who
only uses e-mail and does a little web browsing.

It's a 300 MHZ processor with 64 MB memory.

Tom