(no subject)

  • From: Master NetLord <NetLord@xxxxxxx>
  • To: PCTechTalk - Freelists <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,PCTechTalk Owner List <pctechtalk-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 21:48:51 -0400

I ran spell-check and changed a couple of words (not any of the special words,
just the real words).  Otherwise, it looks great
to me.

Hi Folks,

  As most of you are already aware, we've been researching our options for
getting away from Yahoogroup's problematic servers (lost messages, ISPs who
block traffic from Yahoogroups by default, etc.) by checking out other
listservers available to us.  Well, after extensive research and a lot of
conversation with listowners that use other servers, our search is finally
over.  We're VERY happy to announce that we'll soon be moving the group over
to a server called Freelists (//www.freelists.org).  Unlike
Yahoogroups, Freelists has excellent tech support and can be counted on to
get back to you right away should you ever need to contact them.

  As a current member, you won't need to do anything and the move will
appear seamless (plus, your email filters should still work as long as you
have it set to look for the word 'PCTechTalk' in the subject line).  To
learn more about the new server and what it offers us, I highly recommend
that you take the time to check out their FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
page at //www.freelists.org/help/fom-serve/cache/1.html.

  While we expect the move to go very smoothly (a good number of
yahoogroups lists have also made the move to Freelists, so they have a lot
of experience in this area), there are a few things of which you should be
aware.

  First of all, with over 700 members, it's impossible for us to move
everyone over individually.  Instead, I will create a text copy of the
entire membership list and transfer it over to Freelists in one shot.
Unfortunately, this means that if you have an email setting other than
Individual Emails (No Mail, Digest, Special Announcements, etc.), it will
automatically be set to Individual Emails by the Freelists server.  Of
course, you are more that welcome to then go in and change them to whatever
setting you desire (more on this subject below).

  Secondly, we will NOT be deleting the PCTechTalk Yahoogroup area.
Freelists' only drawback (compared to what we've been used to) is that they
don't have the online support that Yahoogroups has.  Keeping the
Yahoogroups' area intact will allow us to still be able to use the Files,
Photos and Bookmarks areas there as needed.  Also, it will allow us to keep
the older PCTT archives handy should you have the need to look up any
previously discussed topics (Freelists will automatically archive of all the
new posts).

  If, once the move has been completed, you wish to change your email
status to Digest or Vacation (Freelists' version of 'No Mail'), you can very
easily do so by going to the freelists site.  The first time you go there,
you'll want to create a login name/password combo to gain access to the
right area.  Use the same email address that you now use for your messages
(For instance, mine is PC_Tech@xxxxxxxxxxxx).  Leave the password area empty
and click on the Login button.  The listserver will immediately send a
password string to your email address (it will appear in your Inbox, so have
your email program open and look for this) and that string will then need to
be entered into the webpage before you can proceed.  Once you're logged in,
you'll be taken to a new page that shows a listing of all of their available
groups.  Near the bottom of the page, you can set yourself a better password
if you'd like.  Scroll through the list of groups on the left and click
directly on the pctechtalk listing.  Click on the Select List button to be
taken to our area.  From this page, you can change whatever settings you'd
like (and there are a number of them).

  While mailing lists can be configured (and subscriber settings modified,
both by administrators and subscribers) through the web interface, it's also
very easy to do everything through email by sending commands directly to
Listar, the software that controls the mailing lists. To get a list of these
commands, simply send email to listar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of
'commands'. An email explaining all available commands will be sent back to
you.

  In addition to being able to support our group, they also provide space
for a web page that the mods and I will use as a home for our own FAQ (the
one that's currently sent out to the group once a month).  This means we
will no longer send it directly to you.  If you have a question, you can
just go to the page and read up on whatever sections you need at that time.
We'll also be updating the page as needed, so it'll be in your best interest
to check back from time to time.  We'll also be adding the subscription
options functions to the PCTT webpage, so that should help to make changing
your email options even easier.  The page will be located at
//freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk once it's ready.  I should point out
that there's nothing there right now so going there will only produce an
error message until it's ready.         LOL

  If you have any questions about the above procedures or any other aspect
of PCTT's move to a new home, feel free to send an email to either the PCTT
owner list (PCTechTalk-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) or to Freelists' own marvelous
tech support wizards at staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (One of them, John Madden, runs
his own Freelists support group called freelists-tips.  I highly recommend
you join it if you're interested in learning more about this listserver).
:O)

  It's our sincere hope that this move goes as smoothly as possible.
However, we won't be surprised to hear from at least a few unhappy folks who
have been set to No Mail long enough to forget that they were even members
with us (and are now wondering why they were just signed up for something
they didn't ask for or want).  I apologize for any inconvenience the move
may cause and hope that everyone will bear with us while we iron out any
unforeseen difficulties that might occur.  We also hope that this will be
the one and only time we have to go through any of this.  With the
reputation Freelists has for their own list support, I expect we'll remain
very happy with them for the foreseeable future.

  As always, we are in your debt for helping us to make this one of the
best free email computer tech discussion groups in the world.

Peace,
GMan & the Mod Squad
PCTechTalk Owners

Regards from the