-=PCTechTalk=- Trend Micro and tech support comments.

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:10:33 -0400

As far as I know, all internet security suites ( a security suite is a
software package that does more than one thing) have at least one feature
that is incompatible with every other security suite.  However, as far as I
know, not every install program will uninstall (or at least ask you to
manually uninstall) offending software.  It may not recognize all of them.
And, not all uninstalls, including your own manual uninstalls, will actually
remove everything that needs to be uninstalled.  Even the Norton Removal
Tool, which brags that it removes everything Norton, left traces behind that
needed to be removed before I could properly install Trend Micro.  Trend
Micro support identified the culprit, told me where to find it and how to
remove it.

Trend Micro emailed you the link, because it is too lengthy to provide over
the phone because it would be too easy for you to make a mistake writing it
down and then typing it into your browser.  The link they sent you was
probably to download the very latest updated install package (which also
happens to be Vista certified version).

I installed TrendMicro on 5 computers.  Two had problems.  One with the
traces left behind by Norton.  All 5 had Norton installed, don't know why
only one had problems.  Trend Micro support was VERY hepful.  Of course, I
used email and chat support instead of telephone so I could better
understand the broken English.  I always got prompt replies.

To get the anti-spam to work you need to activate it.  If you can't find it
in the configuration or in the help files let me know.

Please read carefully all you can find about certain features in TrendMicro
(and other products).  Specifically the Website filter and the phishing
alert as well as website access controls and data theft prevention.  You
will discover they make frequent and lengthy referrals to an internet based
list of offending sites and content.  This may seriously impact the speed of
your computer.  On one computer I installed on, it went from fast to
extremely slow.  I had to uninstall TrendMicro and reinstall without
activating those features to fix the problem.  I don't know which one or
combination caused the problem, I just left all 4 deactivated and the
problem went away.  I left them deactivated on the other 4 computers as well
so I don't know if the problem was uniques to a specific computer
configuration or if it is a common problem across different configurations.

Every computer is different.  Even if it is exactly the same as mine, it is
still different.  Your experience will most likely be different than mine.

Technical support via email or online chat sessions is far superior to that
received over the phone.  Online chat sessions get connected within a couple
of minutes.  And sometimes the tech is able to access your computer to
physically see what is happening.  Telephone support may take an hour or
more and is dependent upon you accurately understanding the technician and
accurately performing the steps instructed.  Email is far slower than the
phone but is far easier to understand and you can read it 3 or 4 times to be
sure you do things exactly right.  With both chat and email you have a
record of what transpired.  With the phone it is your word against theirs.

Don