-=PCTechTalk=- Re: virus updates

  • From: "Judith" <jtb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:06:02 -0800

Yes but this is not a problem .  Only if you (left click) and
open exe or zip files does a virus become active.  I AM sure
the "techies" will correct me if I AM wrong (grin).

After I save the attachment or download something to my hard
drive, I (right click) on exe or zip files and scan with
Norton's before I open these files.  Should a virus be in
them -- they would immediately go to the recycle bin which I
then immediately go and delete them.

But I do want to add -- I do not download from anywhere but
from sites which are known for their integrity.  Haven't had a
virus show up in 5 years and I've downloaded plenty of free
software.

I use Nortons so if you use AVG -- I can't tell you how to have
your email checked.

Judith

Judith, can you tell me how to scan email and attachments
before they come
in?  I have AVG and have not had a virus yet with it (as I
knock furiously
on my head), but I know I shouldn't go around opening things
like I do.
When you click on an attachment, you get a choice to open it or
save to disk
(same with downloads), but if you save to disk aren't you
saving a virus (if
it contains one) to your hard drive? --Glo