-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic tv's lcds

  • From: "Larry Southerland" <larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:41:38 -0500

I agree with everything stated herein.  (I used to work for Circuit City
many years ago selling audio/video equipment.)  There is also 1080i
(interlaced).  Many 720p sets are also 1080i.  Cable broadcast (even in HD)
is often only 1080i.  Where 1080p (or above) shines is when viewing Blu-Ray
DVDs.

And, yes, my Panasonic 50" is really 600Hz, which makes a good deal of
difference when watching high-activity shows or DVDs (e.g., "The Dark
Knight"'s fight scenes.

Plasmas also have "half-life" issues (they dim over time).  There is also
the issue of side-lit or back-lit (or both) LCD TVs now.

PCWorld has a buying guide which lists a whole lot of factors to consider
when purchasing a new HD TV.

Your friend,

Larry