-=PCTechTalk=- Re: memory question

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:24:58 -0400

Hi Gman,

Am feeling kind of "dumb" now thinking I had gotten the memory in ok.  One
factor is that my brother was in a hurry and I did not get to examine the
memory as closely as I wanted (the old), I did not they were both 512
however.

My biggest success now will be to be able to remove the computer cover on my
own lol...the rest should be not as hard.  I think I found the manual for my
Dell and downloaded it by the way.  Is the order imp. when installing the
memory like putting the stick in slot 1 first before putting memory in any
other slots?  The two 256 sticks I have both have a speed of 400 mghz.  Is
speed more important on the stick as opposed to amount of memory?  Like if a
1 gig has a lower speed than a 512, which is better more memory or more
speed?

I would love to have the old computer running but not sure I could install a
hard drive andn power supply.  If the motherboard is still ok.  I was never
sure what happened to the system.  If I could find a hard drive and power
supply that was not too expensive to try.  I have the old system restore
disk but that wont work will it on a new hard drive? would that work to
install xp?

Christine