-=PCTechTalk=- Re: memory question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:58:24 -0400

Well, it looks like you'll get to practice your 'case opening whack' method
sooner than expected.  This is why the majority of techs fire up the system
and test out the new parts prior to putting the case back together.

Mainboard makers indicate the separation of channels by color coding the
memory slots (blue slots for one channel and black ones for the other, for
example).  For a great majority of them, slots 1 & 3 are for the first while
slots 2 & 4 make up the second channel.  While you may have put the second
1GB stick into the 3rd slot, it apparently is not wired within the mainboard
as "slot 3".  Surprised?  So am I, but it's not the first time I've heard of
such a thing.  It just means that you'll need to remember that your slots
are set up as:

Slot 1
Slot 3
Slot 2
Slot 4

starting from the one closest to the CPU.  It's normally done with them
split (the way they are installed right now) to help cut down on heat
build-up.  So, you're not back to square one, nor are you anywhere NEAR
square one.  I'd further suggest that you will never again be able to go
return to square one since you now have the experience of how easy it is to
remove and install these little beasties.

Now, will putting in the matched set of 256MB sticks work?  Well, I have no
idea if or how well it would work.  It depends on how well they're matched
with the brand new sticks you installed.  If they are designed for a slower
speed, they will slow the entire system down to their speed, regardless of
how fast the new sticks as desined to run.  If they are designed for
different timings, they mainboard may disable dual-channel support
altogether.  the only way to know is to put them in and see what kind of
readings you get from CPU-Z.

    As for your old system, what you described sounds like either a bad hard
drive of perhaps a bad power supply.  Where is that system's hard drive now?
If it's currently in use, then the old PS probably bit the dust.  While I
would not suggest this for someone's main system, an inexpensive replacement
might bring it right back to a usable life (although you'd still need a hard
drive, too).

Peace,
Gman