-=PCTechTalk=- Re: memory question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 16:10:17 -0400

Cristy,
    I was hoping you'd ask this question as it shows you really do
understand the idea behind it.         :O)

    If the two 256MB sticks are of the same speed (PC3200) as the two 1GB
sticks, then it might make sense to run them, too.  There are other factors
I would also take into consideration (timings, recommended operating
voltages, age), but those RAM specifications are a bit more advanced and
much more difficult to explain here.  If I chose to use them, I would
install them on slots 2 & 4, although I really don't have any reason for
doing so other than a personal preference to have the larger sticks
installed first.  I might experiment by running some memory tests with and
without them to see if the addition is worth it (or just leave them out and
see how well the system keeps up with me using the 2GB)

    On the other hand, if the older sticks are of a slower variety, I
wouldn't hesitate to just leave them out and store them somewhere as backup
spares just in case the newer ones should ever fail.

Peace,
Gman