-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wireless

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:28:56 -0400

You are lucky to get unlimited service for only US$65.  I was looking
into that type of service (don't remember why) the other day and
Verizon, who used to be unlimited, but is now limited to 5GB for
US$50/mo.

I quit looking at that point.  Was not even interested in learning the
overage charge per GB.  With all the high powered "stuff" on every
website, especially in the advertising, I don't think 5GB would last
very long.  Unless the speed was incredibly slow.

I just popped up my handy dandy Windows calculator and did some math.
Assuming a continuous transfer rate of 1.5MB per sec you get 3333.333
seconds ( about 55 minutes) per month.  Slow that down to a slow DSL
rate of about 750KB/sec and you get almost 2 hours per month.  While
transfers are not continuous and certainly not that fast all the time
if you average 56KB/sec you still get less than an hour a day.

Anybody have any idea of what a fair average transfer rate per second
would be to determine how much internet time you get for 5GB?  Or what
average percentage of the time on the internet at a given average
transfer speed is actually spent transferring data?  I bet using a
custom HOSTS file would vastly increase the available time.

Don