-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wireless

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:04:49 -0400

Sandi,
    The all digital rollout that's currently underway will do a number of
good things (and some bad ones, especially if you're into HAM radio and
other activities that involve the older analog frequencies used for these
things today)  One of the good things is that it will give both TV and
internet carriers a much larger playground with which to operate and SHOULD
make high speed broadband just as available as a TV signal.  Of course,
everyone has their hand in the pot and they all want a slice of the massive
profits expected from all of this.  It also means that carriers with little
to no hope of getting onto that bandwagon as trying like mad to lock people
into contracts that prevent them from going anywhere else once the options
start really opening up (as hinted at by your local survey tech).

    Cancel Hughes for now and see just what kind of signal you can get with
the trial card.  Ask for a written guarantee that the trial card AND the
drivers they originally supply are exactly the same as the one you'll
receive if you become a customer of theirs (this is to make sure they're not
providing a souped up card or drivers for the trial).  If it works as well
as you need it to work, then you'll have to decide on a term limit for the
contract and we can better discuss your options then.  A half year from now,
you just might find yourself in such a better internet position that you'll
be laughing at the mere thought of nearly being caught up in a long-term
Hughes contract.

Peace,
Gman