-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Upgrading to Vista - questions..

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 01:15:08 -0400

Don,
    Core Duo is the lazy way of saying Core Duo 2 or Core 2 Duo.  They all
refer to the same Intel branded dual core CPU family.  Core 2 Duo is the
true brand name used by Intel.

    On the other hand, 'dual processor' (as well as 'dual-core') is a
generic term that encompasses ALL CPUs with two cores inside their
packaging.  If they haven't already, both Intel and AMD will soon release
new CPUs with 4 cores in each package.  Instead of 'dual core', these (and
all subsequent advancements) will have to be called either quad-core (and
then oct-core, etc.) or simply multi-core.  I'm thinking we'll start seeing
the ol' X used in the naming of them.  For example, "The all new 16X-core by
Intel".  Actually, they might get adventurous and call the 16-core version,
"The new 4X4".       hehe

Peace,
GMan