-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Specials

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:22:30 -0700

See below.......
 Regards,

  Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy"
           ,,,,,,
          Ô¿Ô¬'
  -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
                 Cincinnati, OH -- Scottsdale, AZ
                              NRA Life Member
  -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
 Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.

 Will Rogers

> It would be far easier to tell you what is so good about it.  The
> only "good" thing I have heard anybody say about Vista is that it
> is more secure than XP.  And no, they were not laughing when they
> said it. They repeat it on the second Tuesday of every month, but I
> still don't believe them.

It does, indeed, have better protection and the tools it has are better
integrated.

> Now, to answer your question:
>
> It is bloated full of fancy geegaws and gimmicks to make the
> gullible think it is better than it really is.  Despite what
> Micro$ofts says, you need at least 1GB of RAM for Basic and 2GB for
> Premium to get anywhere near "optimal" performance.

That's probably true. To be honest, most MS OSs need more than 2 gig to run
well.  I don't irder a computer with less than 4 gig now.  I know it's personal
choice, but I actually like the widgets they have..........of course, I added
them in Win XP using a third party software.  They work much better in Vista
than the third party ones did in XP.   I only wish they offered more of them.

> In addition, all the icons for Windows Explorer, Windows Mail,
> Internet Explorer and a few others I keep on the Quicklaunch bar
> have been changed and are too different and look to similar to be
> recognizable.
>
> They "fixed" the Start Menu when it was not broken.  I don't want
> to search for a program... I want to find it on the menu.

This is easily remedied.  Just go to options and select the "classic" mode.
The choice is the users to make.

> They deleted the word "My" from their vocabulary.  How long has it
> been My Computer?  And now its not?  If its not mine, who's is it?
>
> Did they teach Windows how to remember restore UP so we would not
> have to deal with the ALT-F X (File>Exit) to force it to remember a
> resize up.
>
> Did they fix any of the other annoyances that drive users crazy?
>
> The new look of Freecell and Spider Solitaire are disgusting!
> These are simple easy to play games and thay have glossed them up
> with shiny this and gaudy that trying to make them more appealing.
> Instead they ruined them.  The look really $*&(s.
>
> Have you had any luck finding drivers for that almost new printer
> that worked fine under XP?

As I noted previously, when I tried all my programs this time they all worked
perfectly.  All my hardware works too.  I suspect it is because the updates
including SP1 have removed a lot of the issues.  I have probably 40 different
programs running including a great many Photo programs that are traditionally
resource hogs....they all run well, in fact better, than on XP.

The bottom line..........those who have been around a while know full well how
much I disliked Vista when it first came out.  I posted many issues on this
list, and worked on several other lists to document problems (and solutions).
In spite of that, I have to say the current Vista is a great deal better than
the original release, and I suppose, to be fair, probably many of the third
party software program writers have updated their software to run better under
Vista.  At this point in time, I would have no problem recommending Vista.