-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Setting Comcast modem

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:28:01 -0400

Port forwarding is a function in the router configuration.  It is mainly
used in online gaming and certain other applications.  I would think that
except for gaming, very few home networks would need port forwarding
enabled.  Also, for security purposes it should be enabled when needed and
then disabled until needed again.

We have 2 notebooks and one desktop in our home network that share cable
access to the internet.  Anomalies such as you describe happen ocassionally
to us also, but go away in a few minutes or an hour or two.

Don