-=PCTechTalk=- Re: PT Tools/Cyber Defender

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:12:42 -0400

That's VERY true, but it's also just as true for nearly every security app
we can use to guard against these things.  If you can find an app that will
makes these decisions automatically, you will quickly find that there are a
number of things you will no longer be able to do with your system because
the utility made a wrong choice or three and you have no idea what items are
causing the issue.

So, it's to everyone's best interest that they start from whatever amount of
knowledge they already have about this topic and work to increase it as
different warnings emerge.  Keep in mind that most things will be somewhat
obvious.  For instance, if you install a new game and WinPatrol pops up
asking about a browser toolbar, you should know that it came with the game.
If the game install asked you whether you wanted the toolbar added and you
said Yes, tell WinPatrol to allow it.  If you said No or if you were never
asked, tell WinPatrol to prevent it.  Most instances will be obvious like
this, for those that aren't, turn to Google  to see what others are saying
about the item that's trying to get past WinPatrol.

Peace,
Gman