-=PCTechTalk=- Re: PT Tools/Cyber Defender

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:07:14 -0400

Cristy,
    WinPatrol doesn't run system scans for junk (I use Spybot S&D for that).
Instead, it guards the front door (and back and sides and roof and basement
and ...) to prevent them from coming in and installing themselves.  It
watches for system change attempts and then asks if you approve, so if any
badware tries to add entries to your HOSTS file, you'll be given an
opportunity to reverse the change.  If a toolbar tries to install in your
browser (even invisible ones), you can tell it NO.  If something tries to
add itself to your Startup list, same deal.  Plus, it also provides tabs
that can tell you a great deal about what is running on your system in
real-time.

    So, when WinPatrol tells me that "something just tried to ..." (assuming
it's something I didn't want), I'll bring up Spybot 1.52, update its
definition files and run a scan.  Working as a team, these two anti-garbage
utilities have been great to me.

Peace,
Gman