-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Need some help - unable to connect to the Internet!

  • From: recklessmaverick <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 06:29:01 -0500

1.  Turn off computer
2. Turn off router and disconnect from computer.
3. Turn off (unplug) modem  If you also have telephone service from TWC
temporarily disconnect the ethernet cable and then press the reset
button instead of turning off or unplugging.
3a. Wait 15 minutes.
4. Turn on/reconnect modem, then turn on router, do not connect ethernet
cable, turn on computer.
5. Verify the wireless adapter in the computer is active.  Should be a
small light somewhere on the keyboard or near the buttton that turns it
on and off.
6. In the notification are should be an icon indicating connection
status.  If not connected, mouse over the icon.  A "tool tip" should
appear advising that wireless network is available (assuming someone
nearby also has wireless).  Click icon to bring list of available
networks.  If his network is not listed but others are, his router is
not broadcasting.  If nothing is available, visit a McDonald's or other
WiFi hot spot to confirm the wireless is working.  Even if his network
SSID broadcasting is disabled he should be able to see at least the
signal strength indicator of his network and possibly a network ID of
"unknown" or "other" or similar.
7. If his network is listed, click on it then tick the box to connect
automatically and then click connect.  Type in encryption passkey and
the SSID if requested then click OK or connect.
8. If it still does not connect, disable the firewall and try again.  If
it works, a firewall setting needs to be changed.  If you can not find
the setting contact support.  If support can't help, uninstall the
firewall and then reinstall.  It should find the adapter and include the
proper settings during installation.
9.  If it still does not work, visit a WiFi hotspot (if not already
done) to verify the wireless adapter works.

Note:  During initial installation Linksys routers require the setup
disc be run BEFORE connecting the router.  Unplug and turn off as in
steps 1-3 above then turn computer back on, insert disc, follow the
setup wizard's instructions.

Note: All wireless routers require the intial setup be done while
connected via an ethernet cable.  Setup can not be done wireless.

Don