-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IE Cache

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:12:22 -0000

On 11 Mar 2005 at 11:45, Judith wrote:
> Sorry my fault for not being clearer.  In IE, I can go into
> Tools, Internet Options, and set it to refresh the page every
> time I visit the site.
> In Firefox, Tools, Options -- there isn't this option?

There is, but it's well hidden. You have to edit the USER.JS file,
which is located in your Mozilla profile folder. For example, mine is
in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zhmp5zkk.default\"

If you can't find any such file, you will have to create it in the
appropriate place. Read this page for more info:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js

----

Close down any open Firefox windows before you begin. Open or create
your USER.JS file in a text editor, and add the following line:

user_pref("browser.cache.check_doc_frequency", 1);

Save the USER.JS file and quit. Next time you load up Firefox, it
will be set to refresh on every visit. There are many other nifty
modifications you can make with the USER.JS file; just check out the
following page and create the browser you always dreamed of:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips

----

If the above seems far too much like hard work, there is also an
extension available called "ReloadEvery" which will refresh pages
every x seconds:

http://tinyurl.com/55xr6

Faustus