-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firewalls...

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 21:02:38 -0600

Sygate and Outpost are excellent firewalls.  Sygate will give you more info
(better logs, graphs, etc.), but, like Zone Alarm, it can be fussy on a
LAN.  It is rules based, though, so it is easier to work around once you
know how.  Outpost is a very close tie.  It doesn't log as well, but is
definitely adequate.  It has added features (Pro Version) like ad blocking
and content filtering.  Both will become silent after "teaching" them your
surfing habits.

Zone Alarm doesn't log very well, isn't rules based and can be a bear to
configure for LAN gaming and such, if it can be configured at all.  Still,
it is a very good firewall, although I wish it would be quieter.  It would
be my third choice.  These three have free versions.  The rest of the
firewall software out there is expensive, doesn't work as well in tests,
and likely will make you pay for upgrades after the first year.

The XP firewall is pretty much crap, but much better than nothing at all.
Remember to disable any previous firewalls before installing a new one.
Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~

On 11/7/2002 at 9:50 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Sharon
was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Hi all,
          |  The good (great) news is that somehow all my fiddling has
          |  resulted in an
          |  internet connection on my Old computer networked through the
          |  New. The bad
          |  news is that as per Trev's insistence I have removed (as best
          |  I could) ZA
          |  and am currently using only the XP firewall.
          |
          |  The obvious question: what should I replace it with? Langa
          |  http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020412S0009
          |  specifically states that Sygate supports ICS, but the Outpost
          |  site says they
          |  do too. Is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?
          |  Your opinions will be appreciated. Another selling point for
          |  me is
          |  definitely ease of operation and setup.
          |
          |  Also, might I have trouble installing another firewall if ZA
          |  is still
          |  hanging around the registry, even if it's totally gone from
          |  the rest of the
          |  system? I'll go in there only if I must. Maybe I can use
          |  Regclean or similar
          |  instead of doing it myself?
          |
          |  TIA,
          |  Sharon

          |  |
          |  | http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm
          |  |
          |  | Regarding the difference between the fre version of Outpost
          |  and Outpost
          |  Pro, take a look at:
          |  |
          |  | http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/benefitspro.html
          |  |
          |  | Regards from the
          |  | "Keyboard Cowboy",
          |  |
          |  | Master NetLord
          |  | ,,,,,,,,
          |  /
          |
          |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |
          |  To access our Archives:
          |  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/

*******
All the preceding is solely my own opinion not necessarily held by any
other person in any other place at any other time.  No warranty express or
implied.  Author takes no responsibility for the accuracy or usefulness of
this or any rebutttal information.  If you do not agree with this post,
please click delete and move on.