[pchelpers] Re: beep..... pause.... beep beep

  • From: "John Ford" <john.ford1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:27:07 -0500

Don,
With Compaq one never knows if those beeps mean anything. In some cases it
can and others it is meaningless. What I find most intriguing is that you
never see anything on your monitor. If you already have the monitor on and
you try to boot the computer, do you see anything flash at all on the
monitor?

My suggestion is this, insert a floppy disk into the drive with a disk that
has system files on it and allow the computer to try to boot from that
floppy. IF it boots you should be able to see other things that may or may
not be working on this system. Also I just thought of another approach you
might use, take out all of the SIMMS and only insert one on the first SIMM
slot and then try to boot the computer. You could try by using the method
described above or allowing the HD to do its thing.

If you get it to work, that is boot, or are able to see the BIOS of this
computer, the BIOS may show  you what is and is not working on the computer.
You may even have bad BIOS chips causing this problem. Please keep us up to
date on your progress or lack thereof.

John F