[pchelpers] Re: Slow Computer Won't Shut Down

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: GCox <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:11:08 -0500

Hi George,

G> 2. I have found that my computer hasn't gained any speed. In fact it seems
G> to have slowed down! Has anyone ever heard of a pc slowing down when more
G> ram was added? My apps are taking up to three seconds to start loading when
G> I launch them. This hesitation was not there before. They are loading at a
G> little less speed than before.

I seem to recall that some older boards would only cache so much
memory; over that limit would not get cached.  Thus, your system would
actually slow down, because the system would have to hit main memory
for EVERY access over the limit; normally the cache will grab 128 or
256 bytes (or whatever it is) at a time, and any more access attempts
within that block of memory would come from the much faster cache
instead of the slower main memory.

Win98, I'm told, doesn't support more than 128M, I think it is; going
over that can apparently result in various problems.  So, even if the
board properly supports that much memory, Win98 may still act up.

--Scott.