[pchelpers] Re: Slow Computer Won't Shut Down

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:30:44 +1200

To the RAM problem first. The machine didn't speed up because the
original RAM wasn't being fully utilised. Therefore adding more didn't
speed it up. If the system had been making use of its swap file it would
have helped, but as it is, this solves the wrong problem.

About the slow down: It is most likely to be one of 3 causes:
1) Corrupt windows system files
2) Spyware running in the background (or a virus)
3) Too many programs running at once (multitasking).

Solutions:
1) RUN System File Checker (SFC) and replace any corrupt files.
2) Scan the system with Adaware 6 or equivalent. (or antivrus)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
3) Turn some programs off at startup or control them with a utility like
Startup Control.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 112663246