[pchelpers] Re: Help needed

  • From: PcCowboy <saddle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:41:02 -0500

 Billyus Eximius wrote:

>Hello all, I just left a lady's home who is having problems with a teenage
>child.  The lady wants to have some way of disabling the internet access
>completely when out of the home, but leaving the PC able to run so her
>daughter can do homework etc.
>She has ADSL and AOL.  we tried just disconnecting the incoming cable but when
>connected again, there is a right carry on with the AOL "fix it" program, not
>difficult for me, but for the lady , an impossibility. besides, I don't like
>all this uncoupling and recouping, it will eventually lead to product  or
>component failure.
>
>Her system is win xp pro, and I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of
>this system yet
>
>So the problem is, how to disable internet access but leave the PC
>operational...............BTW, all in the house have their own accounts with
>AOL and their own passwords, so it has to be complete internet shut down, is
>this possible???

Might take a look at a firewall. I know zonealarm has a internet lock,
where is locks down the whole
internet until you turn it back on. But it can't be password protected.
There may be others firewalls out
there that you can password protect an internet lock.

One way is to use Zonealarm pro. With it you have password protection
for your settings and ZL can't be shutdown.
You would just open up ZL and block your internet connection (netcard)
or block messenger.  Then when you come back
allow access again.

Pc