[pchelpers] Re: Help needed

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: George <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:49:45 -0500

Hi George,

G> I suggest you use Content Advisor. This utility allows you to limit
G> Internet Explorer to certain sites. By not entering any such sites,
G> you can effectively keep it from going anywhere.

This would be my suggestion also.

However, a big-picture, long-term answer would be to raise the girl
(if can) so that it doesn't matter much. The girl will likely be able
to see such sites at friends' houses, so just blocking access at home
is a bit of a hide-head-in-sand solution. Two other factors to
consider are natural teen curiosity and the fact that girls generally
seem less interested in certain subjects that many parents consider
sensitive.

G> You can even get rid of the home page. Click Tools>>Internet Options.
G> On the General tab, click Use Blank. That will cause Internet Explorer
G> to open to a blank window. However, that area is not protected, so
G> unauthorized users could easily restore the home page. But they'll
G> need the password to access other pages.

Simply cut-n-paste each new desired page url to the Home Page box...
a pain, but could get around the restriction that way.

XP?  Most home users use accounts with administrative privileges, so
the girl could, if she didn't mind exposing her tracks (unless she's
very knowledgeable) simply create a new account, and use IE from there.  Or
just unblock the Guest account and use that.

The ability to access that page of Internet Options can be locked out;
I can look up how to do it if you want, but if the girl's
knowledgeable enough to get around the restriction by changing the
home page, then she may know how to unlock that restriction, as well
as unlock content advisor,  Can only get so far with an Administrator
account...

XP has a Fast User Switch capability.  How about giving the lady's
account a password that the girl doesn't know, and creating a
Restricted User account for the girl, in which IE is disabled by some
means.  When the lady wants to leave the computer unattended, she
simply hits Winkey-L to get to the login screen, and if the girl wants
to do homework, she simply logs onto her account.

--Scott.