[pchelpers] Re: Help needed

  • From: "George" <georgetcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:58:06 -0400

Here is an excerpt from a Kim Komando internet tip I got today in which she
answered someone with a similar problem:

I suggest you use Content Advisor. This utility allows you to limit
Internet Explorer to certain sites. By not entering any such sites,
you can effectively keep it from going anywhere.

You can also use children's filtering programs to accomplish this.

To enable Content Advisor, open Internet Explorer. Click Tools>>
Internet Options. Select the Content tab. Click Enable. Select the
General tab.

You'll have to enter your password twice. If you like, you can enter
a hint to help you remember your password. When you finish, click OK
until you are completely backed out.

Within the Content area, there is a window where you can list sites
that you approve. To enter those sites, you must use your password.
If you leave that window blank, Internet Explorer will be limited to
the home page.

You can even get rid of the home page. Click Tools>>Internet Options.
On the General tab, click Use Blank. That will cause Internet Explorer
to open to a blank window. However, that area is not protected, so
unauthorized users could easily restore the home page. But they'll
need the password to access other pages.

You can disable the restrictions when you need to use the Internet.
Again, click Tools>>Internet Options. Select Content and click Disable.
Enter your password and click OK>>OK.

Filtering programs also will block access to the Internet. Check:
- CYBERsitter ($40): http://www.solidoak.com/
- CyberPatrol ($39): http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
- McAfee Parental Controls, ($50):
   http://us.mcafee.com/root/product.asp?productid=pc

AOL should also have free parental controls she can use. Sygate Personal
Firewall Pro has the ability to block all internet traffic and require a
password to gain access.

George
My darkness inside is full of stars - and each one has a name.