[pasmembers] Re: Night Sky Training Event - Your input is requested

  • From: "Eric Steinberg" <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 19:42:53 -0500

Tim, your point is well taken - you can only learn it ultimately by
doing it.  Yet I think there is some validity to the idea.  Though it
comes naturally to some of us, others have some difficulty making
overall sense of the sky even with a planisphere, and may not even know
where to start.

Eventually, those with an interest will have to do exactly what you say,
but we can help with some basic explanations, like how to use the
planisphere, the idea of star-hopping or things like the precession of
the stars and the celestial equatorial/polar concept.  That along with
some hands-on demos might get people kick-started to do their own
learning.

JM2C
Eric