[pasmembers] Re: Night Sky Training Event - Your input is requested

  • From: Tim Jones <timj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 15:03:27 -0700

While I appreciate the intent behind this, the only way to learn the night sky
is to get out under it and look up.  A session here or there really is not
going to help.

Imagine one of your music students that you only see 2-3 times a year because
their schedule doesn't allow them to practice the instrument more often.  Just
how quickly do you think they would learn to master the instrument?  Learning
the night sky is very much like learning to play an instrument.  While a bit of
guidance will help keep the student on the proper track, it only practicing
regularly that results in the student learning to play the instrument.

My recommendation for learning the sky - get a Planisphere (either an app or a
real one) and spend evenings looking at the sky and learning the lay of the
land (so to speak).  You don't even need a telescope for that.

Tim