[pasmembers] Re: Night Sky Training Event - Your input is requested

  • From: L Phx <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:28:16 +0200

and also people without a telescope can practice with binoculars.  even
inexpensive binocs with a basic adaptor and tripod can show a lot of
objects (e.g. Pleiades, Hyades, Orion nebula, Lagoon nebula, Andromeda
galaxy, etc).  and the person can even show these objects at star parties,
to show people "see all these cool objects you can see even with simple
binoculars?"  there are guidebooks for finding objects with binoculars.
Phil Harrington's book (that I already mentioned) lists binocular objects
too.  and in the library you can find several books called "The Urban
Astronomer" with info about easy-to-find objects.  just because something
is easy for *us* to find, doesn't make it less amazing when we tell people
about it at a star party.  it's not just *what* we show but what we tell
them about it.  a good view of the Andromeda galaxy or the Orion or Lagoon
nebula (even through binoculars) and a good explanation of what they are
seeing, can be more educational for the public than a faint galaxy that we
can just manage to see with averted vision.