[pasmembers] LIbrary star party

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:10:49 -0800 (PST)

Someone quoted this:

The going rate you quoted for paid events of $25 per scope per hour seems kind
of low even with a two scope, two hour minimum. Maybe this pricing should be
reassessed?

It is not correct. The going rate for a corporation or private
individual to hire PAS for an event is $150/scope
with a 2 scope minimum and a 2 hour minimum & $25 to PAS for paperwork (which I
wish I was getting since I do the set up, but giving it to PAS is ok.
Those are PAID EVENTS.

For non paid events, such as schools and scouts,
for the past year, we have been asking schools to provide
from their PTO or PTA $25 per vehicle attending. But
now that some of our members bring several scopes
to a location to help make the event better for the
attendees, several PAS members have decided it
should be a fee of $25/scope, rather than requesting
$25/vehicle. So, if 2 scopes are brought to the event,
then they both should get a portion of the allotted
gas reimbursement. More scopes, more weight in the
car.
Now as far as requesting the amount of $25/scope,
I'm just tired of schools not providing what they
agree to provide once they sign the booking doc.
The agreement is to get gas reimbursement in the amount
of $25/ attending vehicle (now scope), to do their star
party at their school, and feed us because most
star parties start around dinner time, and some of us
come straight from work to this event. William is an
example... I'm sure Tim and Bob and Rod are also
in that list of "straight from work" to the event. There is
not time to eat dinner prior to doing the event, and i know
how crabby and how much of a migraine i get if i
haven't been fed before doing such an event. We have
seen my blood sugar get so low that i feel like fainting
and i'm super crabby with the people, which isn't good
for PAS and not controllable by me, so feed me.

So, asking the library or scouts or schools for $25
per scope and allowing them the opportunity to
cap the amount of scope who can attend, so that
we don't' exceed their budget, I think is fair. If they
don't like it, they can hire, for much more, Tony
La Conte or Dennis Young, who don't do any
schools or scouts for free, as I find out when setting
up these events. "We had Tony La Conte last year and he charged so much, we
were looking for a club that was
cheaper this year." I hear that all the time. So, if they
can charge, so can we, and i'm not asking for a lot of
money. Most star parties if you hired 2 scopes from
PAS for 2 hours, it's $325. 3 hours is $425. I'm saying,
per scope, $25. If they don't like it, they don't have to
have PAS at their event. And besides, we are over booked
with schools as it is. We have Sam saying we have too
many events we are doing in a year. I tend to agree, but
now, with a fee that is required, and not just requested, I
want to see our involvement appreciated. When someone
gets something for free, they tend to treat it as free and
not care. But when they have to pay a little, they tend to
appreciate what they have. So, if we decide to charge the
Library, it will be minimal, maybe a flat $25 that goes
to PAS for paperwork, or maybe free in exchange for
a room to do a meeting now and then... but we will
work it out. I"m waiting on their reply to my last email.

Everyone reading this have a super Friday and a
wonderful weekend!
Terri, Event Coordinator for PAS

PS: Scheduling a school star party for Jan 30.
Watch for updates about it, as we will need
many scopes. 500-600 expected in attendance.

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook Page
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor