Re: oracle EE pricing

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:14:41 -0700

Niall,

I happen to *know* of at least one customer who had "enterprisingly argued
that POWER5 processors" could be licensed for SE.  Before, of course, the
multi-chip-module rule was added.  :-)

It is not the first time I have heard it speculated that IBM POWER5
processors were the reason behind this rule change.

I have also heard Oracle Sales reps state that the rule [regarding
multi-chip modules] is not really *meant* to apply to Intel processors.
Strangely, though, when challenged to amend the license agreement to make
plain that intent, the sales rep fell oddly silent.

Another little-known feature of the Oracle license agreement (and most
others) is that sales people are permitted to say (or write) absolutely *
anything* and their statements have no bearing whatsoever on the terms and
conditions of the license.

Whee!  Ain't licensing fun?

--
Cheers,