RE: oracle EE pricing

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, <vit.spinka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:30:07 -0500

Matt,

    A lot of that may well go the way of RedHat.  Nobody wanted to use
Linux several years ago because it had little main street support.
Along came RedHat and bingo Linux is pretty well mainstream.  Could go
the same way with PostgreSql/EnterpriseDB.  I've used it, and I like it
just as much.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

________________________________

From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>
To: vit.spinka@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, January 18, 2010, 9:57 AM

OK to spec SE for new projects, but what about those of us with
declining revenues?  We would love to downgrade our licenses from EE to
SE, and keep oracle,  but oracle will have none of it.  We are asked to
shelve all of our EE licenses and buy new SE licenses.  All of that
money for our EE licenses in the trash can.

At that juncture, Postgre/MySQL or even SQL Server start looking mighty
attractive.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:55 AM, vit.spinka <vit.spinka@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://us.mc320.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=vit.spinka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> >
wrote:

I think the Standard Edition is underrated, and could save the day quite
often. It's just that most of us are used to EE and don't even think
about SE when thinking about new projects... True, you get RAC, you
loose all the packs, partitioning...
But quite often you can get around those limitations, there is even a
product emulating DataGuard for SE (after all, SE has all the recovery
stuff too, it's just missing the automation).

Vit