RE: oracle EE pricing

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:23:02 -0700

Ok, I think I figured out how I was misinterpreting it.  I was misreading it as
"a _core_ is counted equivalent to a socket", meaning that you could only run
on a max of 2 cores, regardless of whether it was one dual-core CPU, or two
single-core CPUs.  After rereading it a few times and some anonymous off-list
help, I think what they actually mean by "a _processor_ is counted equivalent
to a socket", is that each processor/socket is counted only once for licensing
regardless of the number of cores it has.  If you have two sockets you pay the
same regardless of how many cores they have, so the price is the same for two
dual-cores as it is for two quad-cores or two six-ways; you're only charged for
TWO processor licenses even though you may be running 4, 8 or 12 cores.  I
think I went through this same misunderstanding a few years ago but already
forgot about it.  Can anyone confirm if I have it right now?

Thanks,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Allen, Brandon

Mark, are you sure it's permitted to license SE-1 on a 12-core server?  I
thought SE1 could only be licensed on a max of 2 cores according to this