RE: making graphical reports from oracle metrics

  • From: "Tanel Poder" <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:10:22 +0200

Hi,

In the end of last year when solving a performance issue I got enough of
manual copy & paste from sqlplus to Excel for graphing, so I automated it.
The idea is to have a low-effort flexible SQL resultset visualization engine
for manual data analysis. Excel combined with SQL data fetching code is
pretty good at it. Note that this is not meant to be a standard static
monitoring grapher such RRD related stuff but rather a manual ad-hoc data
visualization tool.

Here's PerfSheet 2.0 beta:

http://www.tanelpoder.com/files/PerfSheet.zip

It's an Excel file + a little VBA code which:

1) accesses Oracle (or any other) data sources via ADODB
2) runs whatever query you have specified in Queries page
3) loads the data to an excel sheet
4) displays the data in a flexible PivotChart in whatever way you've defined
in Views sheet

I've demoed it at Hotsos, OOW and few other places, however I haven't
blogged about it yet as I don't have good enough documentation for it yet
and there are some limitations I want to resolve some day.

The *problem* is that it already serves its purpose for me and except few
glitches it works well enough so I haven't had a need to improve it ;)

Tanel.