Re: making graphical reports from oracle metrics

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:29:11 -0600 (CST)

I have a simple query that reports user tables sorted descending by size.  I
had been dumping this into MS Exxhell every Monday, then going through the
gyrations of creating the graph to print out and hang on my wall for passers
by (especially management) to see.  The problems with this approach are that
it's time-consuming and the MS Exxhell graph generation is difficult for me
to create consistently (fonts, size, layout, etc).  This made for a
less-than-professional look as I showed folks the graph history.

What I ended up doing is using Quest's Toad to create a saved FastReport for
my query.  Now when I run the query via Toad, I can very easily generate a
consistent bar graph of just my top 20 tables with an additional bitbucket
column to sum the sizes of the next 30 tables without modifying the SQL --
it's literally two mouse clicks.  Additionally, I could schedule this to run
automagically every Monday at 6:30 AM to be waiting for me when I get in.
Unfortunately, the portability of my laptop prevents me from using this
feature, but it might work well in your environment.

As I've been using commercial Toad since it's inception, I'm not as familiar
with the free version of Toad, but it might be worth a look for you if the
(wonderful) commercial version isn't viable.  Also, a FastReports FAQ for
Toad can be found here:

http://asktoad.com/DWiki/doku.php/faq/questions#fastreports

Of course, I have the huge disclaimer that I'm a Toad bigot and have been
for over 10 years.  :)

Toad for Oracle:  http://www.quest.com
Toad Freeware:  http://www.toadsoft.com/lic_agree.html

HTH!  GL!