Re: making graphical reports from oracle metrics

  • From: John D Parker <orclwzrd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx, jpremhere@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 12:54:35 -0800 (PST)

How interesting, I was just struggling thru this for the Nth time again last
night. Collecting data (only my favorite information), munging it into the
"proper" format, producing charts and then viewing the charts all in an
automated/semi automated fashion. The first time I did this, bstat/estat was
still in vogue. I used perl to pull the valuable pieces out of hourly reports
combining the results of several days(month) together and then produce a script
that would run in gnuplot. gnuplot would then produce png files viewable in a
web browser. I've tried to improve this by reproducing it in Java but my brain
just does not do Java. So then I tried PHP and it does a pretty good job of
producing the charts in a web viewable form. You still have to get the data out
of the database and get it to the machine that runs the PHP (central collection
point). Last night I was again looking at this to graphically display ASH/AWR
data of my choosing. I'm still
 favoring perl but it doesn't inherently do graphics. There are pieces that
feed gnuplot or even TK. TK does nice graphs but does not produce printable
graphic output that I can find. Gnuplot can product nice small PNG files but
then I have to feed them to something to build web pages. I guess this is why
we all pay good money for tools that already do this. Currently, I'm leaning
toward the perl module Chart::Graph that links perl with gnuplot. We'll see
where that goes. Unfortunately, I've never been able to focus on this for a
long enough period of time to build a robust and flexible enough framework so
that I don't have to recode for each collection that I dream up.

<deep breath>

I'd love to continue this discussion, as displaying graphical trends of all
this performance stuff we gather is one of my main personal pursuits.

John Parker
yet another certifiable Senior Oracle DBA