Re: To ODA or Not?

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 18:18:06 -0400

On 03/27/2015 05:07 PM, Seth Miller wrote:
Jeff,

You are in luck. The latest release of the ODA uses ACFS for the database storage which has snapshot/clone technology similar to NetApp. ACFS and all of its snapshotting capabilities are included.
Well, that is not exactly true. ACFS uses COW (Copy-On-Write) snapshots which will triple your IO rates on writes. When you write to a file system with the snapshot, the machine must:

1. Read the old data (first I/O operation)
2. Write the old data to snapshot pool block (second IO operation)
3. write the new data to the FS (third IO operation).

Not all snapshot technologies are created equal. SAN manufacturers like NetApp usually use so called "deferred write", while file systems like BRTFS, ZFS and ACFS use COW. I would be vewy, vewy cawefull with COW snapshots, as they can significantly slow your system down, especially if redo logs are on the file system with a snapshot.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA