Re: To ODA or Not?

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:52:17 -0400

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Mladen Gogala <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> On 03/27/2015 08:11 PM, Jeff Chirco wrote:
>
>> Well we are not licensed for RAC nor will we want to. Is that a
>> requirement? I thought no I had a conversation with the PM at an event and
>> I believe he said you didn't need to use RAC, the second server could be
>> used as a failover which I guess is like RAC but not a full Oracle RAC
>> environment.  Maybe that is what you are referring to.
>>
> Ah, RAC One Node! That actually makes a lot of sense. Oracle is giving it
> away for free and is much cheaper than Veritas Cluster and even than the
> Red Hat cluster or Microsoft Cluster. ...

When did RAC One Node become "free"?  Its been a while, but the last time I
checked, it cost something like $5500 ($11,000?) per processor.  It
certainly wasn't "free".  (Although that doesn't mean it isn't now, I
guess.  I have not looked at a price list in over a year.)

In fact, on a 72-core machine, that's a pretty long way from "free".

What HAD been free was active-passive clustering using Oracle clusterware
as the "glue".  (I remember doing that on 9i and 10g.) This is so close to
"RAC One Node", though, that it is almost indistinguishable.  (Imagine
trying to explain the distinction to a judge.)  I have always feared that
people doing it would almost surely have trouble with license audits, ever
since RAC One Node was introduced.