Re: To ODA or Not?

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 15:54:58 -0400

Exactly.

Although Mladen is correct in what he is describing.  It is (used to be?)
possible to build an active-passive cluster using Oracle Clusterware, and
use it to move a single-instance database from one node to another in the
event of failures.  I have done this myself.  Since the introduction of RAC
One-Node, though, I have avoided using this, because the two are very
nearly indistinguishable and could get you in trouble in an audit.  (That
said, the old use probably still is legitimate -- this is just me in "risk
management" mode.  The easiest way to win a fight is to avoid it
altogether.)

Mladen is not quite correct, though, in saying that Oracle clusterware is
"free".  There is no charge for Oracle clusterware, so long as at least one
node in the cluster is (properly) licensed to run Oracle.  You can build a
MySQL active-passive cluster this way, but unless the rules have changed in
the last year or two, you will need to buy some Oracle database licenses to
do it!

(It is just possible that this has changed, though, since Oracle took
ownership of MySQL.)