Re: Storage array advice anyone?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:23:17 -0000

Sorry to come in so late on this one - I've
had a busy three months, and only just got
back to reading the mail.

Personally I find the whole 'virtualization' thing a
complete con-trick.

Sure, I now have a LUN which is really 50
different spindles - so what good is that if I
send a 'single read request' and that activates
eight of them.   It only takes 8 requests like
that and there are 64 reads queued up somewhere,
and who knows where they might be ?  Ask
Cary Millsap about queueing and unstable
response times.  (Then ask Stephen Barr what
the minimum and maximum response times were
for his Parallel Query problem).

And another thought - I've got a LUN which
has 50 different spindles. Using reasonably
modern discs, that's probably around 4TB of
spindles.  How many other databases are going
to hitting those spindles ?  That's what I asked
the DBA's at a site recently when there 56GB
database was on a 4TB SAN.  Their S/A was
insisting that the SAN has no performance issues -
the database had recorded its first 3-second
'db file sequential read' time just fifteen minutes
after I reset the wait times.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th