Re: Storage array advice anyone?

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:04:59 -0500

Well, I'll agree with your later posting that a lot of vendors have
jumped on the virtualization bandwagon and I'll agree that a lot of the
virtualization products offer little or no value.  For example, the sun
6320 is described as a virtualizing array, when the real benefit seems
to be that you can span management across several smaller arrays (but
not span storage devices!).

When I'm talking about virtualization, I am talking about using large
numbers of spindles to satisfy I/O, and in better examples, software on
the array to rebalance I/O.  In the example you give, its true that one
read could span 8 drives with a huge queue of pending requests, but it
depends on the size of the I/O and the stripe size configured on the
array, like anything else - it seems a little unfair to pick an
arbitrary example and use that as a definitive reason why a technology
is bad.

We can look at the other case - I could have a bunch of RAID-10 volumes
and any given read could span two drives.  When I then have 64 I/Os
that are pending against that lone RAID-10 volume, wouldn't I be better
off having those I/Os against 50 disks instead of 14?

And as far as sharing disks, even EMC's RAID-1 implementation splits a
disk into a set of volumes and mirrors them to another drive.  There's
always the possibility of spindle contention with any RAID group,
including a RAID-10 volume.  How well an array copes with that is a
factor of workload, cache, and the elegance/functionality of the array
OS.  Like everything else in the world, quality makes a difference.
That's why I suggested that you vet your vendors heavily.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito